Friday, November 10, 2017

Butternut Squash Soup, Guac Off, & Moosewood


I have a few things to share with you today.  Starting with this blender recipe!  This made a HUGE batch and measurements are approx because I continuously added things as I went.

2 pounds Butternut Squash
2 (or more) C Almond Milk
1/2 t Old Bay Seasoning
1 T Wildtree Garlic Galore (or Minced Garlic)
About 1/2 Onion
Nutmeg & Cinnamon to taste
Black Pepper & Pink Himalayan Sea Salt to taste
2 T Vegan Bouillion
6 Mini Red and/or Orange Bell Peppers

Optional addition for my leftovers: 1 T Wildtree Garden Vegetable Blend Seasoning



Our local Humane Society operates a separate Thrift Boutique where all the proceeds go back to the animals and today was their Holiday Open House.  They have some really neat stuff there and the inventory always changes.  The prices are extremely low, too!  I found this small book for just 49 cents and couldn't resist!  It's not a vegetarian book but it did have a lot of vegan/vegetarian recipes in there and some of them that weren't veg recipes sure did give me some ideas for ones I could easily tweak.


Today I stopped by a fellow league members house and she gave me this Moosewood Book.  She was so sweet!  She's been a League of Women Voters member for over 55 years!!!  That makes her a lifetime member!  I was so thrilled because I remember borrowing this book from libraries more than once in the past but didn't YET have it in my collection.  I have other Moosewood Cookbooks - maybe about 6 - but didn't have this one before today.  I can't wait to re-read it!!

7 comments:

  1. The soup sounds great and I have a butternut to use up. Thanks! And very cool on the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I tried it - it was missing something - I think the Bouillon really kicked it up a notch for a more savory soup! I also think that the red pepper smoothed out the butternut and helped it blend better!

      Delete
  2. That Guac Off! book looks hilarious! What a find! Good luck with your quest to become the guacamole champion of the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks!!!! It's a cute lil book! Can't wait to check it out more!

      Delete
  3. I have a number of Moosewood books, inc. this one - I was intro'd to Moosewood by an American friend and am so pleased. Butternut squash and red pepper in soups, sounds like a good combo. I need to get my mitts on Old Bay Seasoning, its not easy to come by in the UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get annoyed when I see their fish recipes in the books but understand when they got going in the late 60s and early 70s they were still ahead of their time so I try to overlook it a bit.

      Delete